Figs are a delicious summer fruit, they have a high water content of up to 78%, but when they dry they remove moisture which is free water and some colloidal water, and to do this we need simple equipment, such as The drying technique is easy and maintains the taste of fresh and original fruit.
Dried figs have the ability to store this fruit throughout the year, in addition to being rich in dietary fiber, antioxidants and key minerals such as calcium, magnesium and potassium. The increase in overall growth of fig-flavored products from 2012G to 2016G was shown at a significant rate of 84.3%. All this made people look for ways to dry the figs.
Three ways to dry figs and keep them at home
Before starting the process of drying the figs, it is necessary to choose the ripe figs, remove the impurities and what has been damaged, wash them with water, and then cut them into pieces, in order to increase the surface area in contact with the drying medium, improve the permeability of materials, and save the time we need to dry, in addition to reducing energy consumption, There are three ways to preserve figs by drying , which can be easily done at home. Where dried figs can be stored for months and years.
First: how to dry figs in the sun
- paper towels;
- cutting board.
- Wooden shelf.
- Watertight containers.
- Ripe figs are washed with water. Until all the dirt is removed before starting the drying process.
- After washing, dry the figs with a piece of cloth or dry paper towels.
- Cut the figs in half with a kitchen knife so that they dry quickly and efficiently.
- Cutting the figs in half ensures that no juice is left in the center after drying.
- Prepare wooden shelves and put figs in it, then put a gauze on it.
- A wooden shelf is good for drying because it allows air to flow, which gives better drying results.
- The figs are again covered with gauze. To completely protect it from insects during the drying process.
- The shelf containing the figs is moved to a source of direct sunlight.
- Figs are introduced before nightfall, to make sure they are not exposed to dew moisture.
- They need several days to dry, and if the areas are hot, they need at least two or three days.
- Stir the figs continuously to make sure they are completely dry.
- Make sure that the figs are not placed in the shade and that they are always in the source of the sun. Because figs can spoil even before they dry out.
- Make sure that the figs are completely dry, due to their curious texture and do not contain juice, when they are dry and can be stored.
- Place the dried figs in a clean, airtight container so that the dried figs are stored longer.
The second method
The second method of drying the figs in the sun is to hang them directly from the source of the sun, using skewers or they can be tied with a drying rack. To carry out the drying process, the following steps must be followed:
- Wash ripe figs well.
- It is dried with paper towels.
- Figs are cut in half.
- We are preparing enough pieces of gauze to wrap the figs.
- Prepare a large mesh bag, enough to put figs in. Because gauze and mesh bag protect the fruit from insects and other contaminants during the drying process.
- Place a slice of fig with a cotton cloth. Then in a mesh bag. It is best to put half of the figs inside the cloth, to be able to expose the pulp of the fruit to the sun and to speed up the drying process.
- The fruit is then attached to some skewers or can be tied to a rope exposed to sunlight.
- This process takes two to three days.
- Shade and moisture should be avoided as the fruit will not be damaged before drying.
- Until you know a way to efficiently measure the dryness of a fruit, check to see if the fruit really has a curious texture and has no juice.
- Once the dried figs are obtained, they are placed in an airtight container and then stored in the refrigerator.
Second, the method of drying figs in the oven
- The oven temperature is raised in advance to prepare the fruit, up to about 60 ° C, as the low oven temperature ensures that the fruit dries evenly.
- After that, wash the figs with water to clean them of dirt.
- Dry it with paper towels or a piece of cloth.
- The fruit is cut in half.
- We put the figs in the oven for a day and a half or about 36 hours.
- In this period of time, the fruit should be rotated from time to time, so that it dries evenly.
- After removing the figs from the oven, let them cool and then store them in an airtight container.
- If placed in the freezer, dried figs can retain their sweetness for up to two years.
Third - Microwave drying of figs
- Prepare the microwave to reach a temperature of 58 degrees Celsius before preparing the fruit.
- Rinse the figs well with water to make sure they are clean.
- Dry it with cloths or paper towels.
- Put in the microwave for 8 hours.
- Checking from time to time that the microwave is working properly while you turn the fruit.
- It may take longer to dry in cooler areas or if the figs are large.
- After 8 hours, you should check if the figs are soft. If it is, then it is dry.
- Put the figs in a dry place for a while to cool.
How to store dried figs
- Before you start storing, make sure the figs are completely dry, so they can be stored for a long time.
- Dried figs are placed in airtight containers. It is then stored in the refrigerator or freezer. After making sure the containers are clean.
- If placed in plastic bags, care must be taken to ensure that there are no holes or moisture inside during packaging.
- Although figs can be stored for months, it is best to consume them as soon as possible.
The method of drying figs ... to preserve the fruit all year round